Bangladesh Open University, in short BOU, is the 7th largest university in the world in terms of student enrollment. The necessity of establishing such a type of university was felt long ago, and to make it true on 21 October 1992 after a subsequent long journey.
Since the establishment of the university, it has been playing a vital role in creating unparalleled opportunities for the students to pursue study remotely. The Open University is very rich with its study journey and has already introduced six schools. This article will inform us about the BOU schools & programs and their subordinated departments.
So if you are interested to know more about the departments conducted by the Open University Bangladesh, then this article is for you. Here I will try to elaborately describe the BOU schools & programs so that you can get an overall concept of the University’s schools and offered programs.
Bangladesh Open University Schools & Programs
We often search about what programs Bangladesh Open University offers, or many ask what we can study at Bangladesh Open University. Well, these are general questions. In this article, I will try to clarify all these types of questions.
But first of all, I want to inform you that any students of all ages can get admitted and study at the Bangladesh Open University. When you have dropped out from studying, your age doesn’t matter here; the only matter is your willpower.
However, Bangladesh Open University offers 6 categories of courses in the six schools. And there are several courses and subjects under the schools. Here are the BOU schools & programs.
- Open School
- School of Agriculture & Rural Development (SARD)
- School of Business (SoB)
- School of Education (SoE)
- School of Social Science, Humanities & Languages (SSHL)
- School of Science & Technology (SST)
Open School is one of the largest schools of the Bangladesh Open University. Now there is a total of six programs under this school. Any student can get admitted to these programs easily meeting the eligibility. Open School introduced SSC and HSC programs in 1995 and 1998, respectively. Here are the Open Scool programs.
- Secondary School Certificate (SSC)
- Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
- Bachelor of Business Studies (BBS)
- Bachelor of Business Administration(BBA), Bangla Medium
- Master of Business Administration(MBA), Bangla Medium
- Master in Criminology and Criminal Justice (MCCJ)
- Basic Science
School of Agriculture & Rural Development (SARD)
School of Agriculture & Rural Development, short SARD, is one of the schools of the BOU. This school comprises all the agricultural and rural development courses that have a huge demand in the present situation. The School of Agriculture & Rural Development of the BOU has been trying and meeting all the demons of the eco-social position of this country. The available programs of the School of Agriculture & Rural Development are
- Bachelor of Agricultural Education (B. Ag. Ed)
- Diploma in Youth in Development Work (DYDW)
- Certificate in Livestock & Poultry (CLP)
- Certificate in Pisciculture & Fish Processing (CPFP)
- Master in Sustainable Agriculture and Rural Livelihoods (MSARL)
- Master of Science (MS) in Agricultural Sciences:
a) MS in Agronomy
b) MS in Entomology
c) MS in Soil Science
d) MS in Irrigation and Water Management (IWM)
e) MS in Aquaculture
f) MS in Poultry Science
- Seed Production Technology
- Production of field crops
- Plant Protection
- Nursery Management
- Livestock and Poultry Management
- Aquaculture and Fisheries Management
- Agricultural Machineries and Irrigation Practice
- Food and Nutrition
- Natural Resource Management
- Rural Development
Upcoming Formal Programs:
- Certificate in Poultry Management (CPM)
- Bachelor of Science in Agriculture (BScAg) (Hons)
- Bachelor in Youth Development Work (BYDW)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
School of Business (SoB)
Bangladesh Open University also included the School of Business as its academic part, and first of all, the School of business was introduced to the Bangladesh Open University in 1965. The school’s mission is to make the quality graduate who will play a vital role in improving the business administration sector.
With this in mind, Bangladesh open University has opened several departments under the schools, and all the departments are gathered below for your convenience.
- Post-Graduate Diploma in Management (PGDM)PGDM/ Certificate in Management (CIM) CIM
- Master of Business Administration (MBA)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Evening) Spring
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Evening) Summer
- Post Graduate Diploma in Human Resource Management (PGDHRM)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Professional Finance (PGDPF)
- Professional Master of Business Administration (PMBA)
- Post Graduate Diploma in Supply Chain Management (PGDSCM)
- Master of Business Administration (MBA Evening) Fall
- Commonwealth Executive MBA/MPA (CEMBA/ CEMPA)
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA)
- Master of Philosophy (MPhil)
- Marketing Management
- Disaster Management
School of Education (SoE)
School of Education, in short, SoE, is one of the excellent schools included in the BOU providing academic services after the emergence of the Bangladesh Open University.
This school offers four high professional degrees, Ph.D., M.Phil, M.Ed, and B.Ed. It keeps a role in developing and nurturing the teachers’ educational thoughts and teaching capacity, providing effective teacher education and training for all levels of education.
From the School of Education, around 25,000 students have taken higher degrees in these four disciplines.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.)
- Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
- Master of Education (M.Ed)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed)
- Certificate in Education (CEd)
- Environmental Education (with SST)
- Maternity and Child Care (with SST)
School of Social Science, Humanities & Languages (SSHL)
School of Social Science, Humanities & Languages (SSHL) is one of the largest schools of the Bangladesh Open University, and it comprises members of different disciplines like Bangla, English, Arabic, Philosophy, Economics, Political Science, Geography & Environment, Sociology, History, Islamic Study, Islamic History & Culture, etc.
The school’s overall program is conducted under some tactful and professional instructors. At present, the school imparts the following programs.
- Master of Arts (MA) & Master of Social Science (MSS) (Preliminary)
- Master of Arts (MA) & Master of Social Science (MSS) (Final)
- LLB (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours) & Bachelor of Social Science (Honours)
- Bachelor of Arts (BA)/Bachelor of Social Science (BSS)
- Bachelor of English Language Teaching (BELT)
- Certificate in Arabic Language Proficiency (CALP)
- Certificate in English Language Proficiency (CELP)
School of Science & Technology (SST)
School of Science & Technology (SST) comprises all the science and technology-based subjects and disciplines to spread the science and technology-based knowledge worldwide and easy access to all.
To meet the requirements, SST builds thousands of scientifically and technically skilled manpower in the country to meet the demands. Also, the SST works to raise the awareness about Science & Technology among the comment people and make them familiar with these.
Ongoing Academic Programs
- Diploma in Computer Science and Application (DCSA)
- B. Sc in Nursing (BSN)
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering (B.Sc in CSE)
- Master of Disability Management and Rehabilitation (MDMR)
- Master of Public Health
- Post Graduate Diploma in Medical Ultrasound (PGDMU)
Upcoming Academic Programs
- Diploma in Community Health Care (DCHC)
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D. Pharm)
- M.Sc in Software Engineering (MSSE)
- B.Sc (Hons) in Food Science and Nutrition
- M.Sc in Pharmacology
- Online Diploma in Health Professionals Education (ODHPEd)
National University Bangladesh Programs & Courses
Bangladesh Open University Regional Centers (RCs/SRCs)
That’s all I have for you about the Bangladesh Open University Schools & Programs. I think you will be able to get an overall conception of the topic after reading the whole article carefully. If you have any questions about the topic, you may ask or leave a comment below. For more information, you may visit BOU Schools.